Wednesday, February 25, 2009

My Financial Futue: Am I smart enough?

Yesterday I posted that I'm going to write a few posts on My Financial Future, and I quoted Lincoln who said, "The best way to predict the future is to create it."

To create a better future, you've got to be pretty smart. Now,I like to think that I’m a pretty smart guy: at least above average? But am I smart enough create a better financial future for myself?



Traditionally, one accepted measure of intelligence has been the IQ, or Intelligence Quotient. A quotient is the result of a division problem, and in the case of Intelligence Quotient, it is Mental Age divided by Chronological Age.

So if your 40 years old chronologically, and you’re only as smart as a 5th grader (a 10 year old) then 10 divided by 40 is .25. Oops. I forgot to multiply the result times 100! – Your IQ is 25. Yikes.

Less than 68 is mentally retarded. (80 to 120 is low average to above average, 100 is average). If your mental age is 40 and your chronological age is 40 then 40/40 X 100 is 100: You’re average. (This simple ratio model has been replaced by a method that uses test results to place a person on a Bell curve producing similar IQ scores.)

Is my IQ high enough to create a better fiscal future for myself?



But many have questioned whether IQ really measures intelligence. One researcher/writer named Howard Gardner popularized the notion of multiple intelligences. He teased out seven ways to be intelligent: linguistic, logical-mathematical, musical, interpersonal, intrapersonal, visual-spatial, and bodily kinesthetic.

Gardner’s paradigm of intelligence broadens the scope and allows for the reality that different people are “smart” in different areas. Gardner allows us to change the question from “How smart are you?” to “How are you smart?” I think that is a better question.

But am I smart enough in the right ways to create a better fiscal future for myself?



Another researcher/writer, Daniel Goleman, has put forward the notion that the most important intelligence is EQ or Emotional Intelligence. This intelligence refers to how intelligently you manage emotions (personal and social).

Is my EQ high enough to create a better fiscal future for myself?




My background understanding on intelligence has led me to a new pursuit: developing fiscal intelligence.

I have little background on financial world history, international economics, national fiscal policy, the California state budget crises, or even my employer’s fiscal problems.

Me? I’m trying to develop personal fiscal intelligence.

I’ve learned a few things, but I feel that I have much to learn.

Today I am continuing a series on my financial future. I want to develop and use fiscal intelligence and personal affirmations to program myself to achieve a brighter fiscal future. That’s one of my goals. So…



Fiscal Affirmation #1: I feel good being fiscally intelligent.

That should help me become smart enough to develop a brighter fiscal future for myself.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a way to look at the health of your future finance stability. I think that the financial future is on the minds of many lately. It's great that you are writing about this very topic. :)

    ReplyDelete