Saturday, March 7, 2009

Spring Hair and other observations…

In Southern California (Orange County) spring is in the air. That means the pollen counts are high! Many trees have blossomed; some trees are past blooming and are presently sprouting new leaves. The pale green of new leaf graces the street I live on, as the Chinese Elm are putting on airs for St. Patrick’s Day.



But the newest thing I’ve noticed is Spring Hair: the dog version. Heidi, my German shepherd, is becoming a shedding machine. I like winter when she puts on a nice coat, and less of her fur shows up on the carpet and on my clothes. But winter is fading, and dog fur is flying. I’ve dug out her dog brush, and my lint brush, to avoid looking too tacky in public.

What things are you noticing as spring lurks just around the corner? Is winter packing her bags? How do you know?

Today I made a short trek to the Fullerton Arboretum to see what was in bloom there. I’ll be sharing those pictures over the next week or so as an added bonus!



Last week I succeeded in trimming a 50’ Liquid Amber in my backyard, and tomorrow I may sculpt my Pink Tabebuia tree. The 50’ tree required a tree saw, a pole, a pole extender, and a ladder. Tomorrow’s tree should be easier: no ladder. I want to get the second tree done before it puts out leaves. It’s already put on its flower show, but some hard cold rain abbreviated that spectacle.



Happy Saturday! Don’t forget to Spring Forward!

3 comments:

  1. Oh Don what an awesome post! I too am ready for spring and I feel your pain about the shedding of the winter coats!! My four rescues and shedding everywhere. Every single morning I swiffer up the hair (well it's actually not swiffer....we used one of those magnified clothes and they do marvels. I can't use chemical because I have a rescue Quaker Parrot....and a cat.....and 34 fish, lol).
    I can't wait to see your snaps from Fullerton Arboretum. I love all things green and all things blooming!!
    Hope the rest of your weekend is filled with love, joy and laughter Don.

    Steady On
    Reggie Girl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spring left a calling card on my car so I would be sure not to notice its arrival!

    (The tree I was parked beneath shed some sticky stuff. I don't know how I'm gonna get it off.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A gift of sap. Some of my neighbors have posted warning signs beneath their trees to warn the unsuspecting. (An auto parts store probably sells a small jar of stuff to remove it with.)

    ReplyDelete