Tuesday, December 29, 2009

A Rictameter (not): 2010!

Sciptor, a true word lover, offered this nugget of knowledge recently over on his blog: "A rictameter is an unrhymed, 9-line poem with a syllable count of 2/4/6/8/10/8/6/4/2 in which the first and last lines are the same."



Always on the lookout for new forms to try out... I give you...

2010!

2010 commences.
Old: set in stone.
Trip around the sun now complete.
Highs and lows, ebbs and flows: spirals drawn.
One year ends, another begins -- One decade passes, another begins.
Pastels or browns, success or failure: probably both.
Trip around the sun barely begun.
New: unset and open.
2010 commences.



Happy New Year! Carpe anum!

PS:

Being the proof-reader that I am... I discover that I've misread the directions/definitions. Rictameters involve syllable counts, not word counts. So this is not a Rictameter!

As a teacher, I am always amazed at how often my students don't read the directions, and they end up missing the point. As a teacher, I am too often amazed at how often I do the same. The nice thing is... my students catch me! Or sometimes, I catch my own mistrakes. Sometimes I don't. ;-)

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The new year is open and waiting for us to discover it.

    Happy New Year Don! I'm very happy to have found your wonderful blog here in this cyber world. I gain so much from my visits here :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Happy new Year Don, and a great poem to start the year off with! =)

    I'm still not sure about the switch to Tumblr, I love their themes and set up (Not only can I upload my photos, but I can also upload my music MY MUSIC, which I listen to a lot of stuff thats not on the radio and is hard to find on sites sometimes) and it also distingushes my "quote" posts from my "music" posts from my "text" posts and so on by making each post have its own theme. Draw back? I can't export this blog over, which means I would have to abandon this, which I can't, I simply can't! I'm looking into Wordpress (where I can import my current blog and people can still comment and follow easily) but it's seems a little complicated. Anyways, I'm going to use Tumblr for my Project 365 blog and my Design inspiration blog for my website (once I get that done) so for now, I shall stay here =)

    Anywho, this was a long post (but there is no e-mail for me to reply to through comments) but I hope you have a great year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @its-all-good: Rawan, thanks for the long comment. Back at ya! for the New Year. Looking forward to seeing where your path will take you. Sounds like a Masters program. If you go to Tumblr, I'll find out how to follow: just to keep up on your unfolding story. (I always enjoy the energy you bring to life and capture on your blog.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @September: I'm so glad you found my blog too. My poetry is better (and more often practiced) because of you! I always enjoy my trips to your blog and to follow your musings, poetry, and cares. Thanks for putting your voice out there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even though you didn't actually follow the rules, I think you still did a pretty bang-up job. Happy New Year, Don. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Saphron: Thanks. I liked the poem. It was only when I was doing a final edit that I realized I'd "messed up." Or did I? Maybe I just inadvertently invented a new poetic form!

    ReplyDelete