I'm on a new journey of fitness, discovery, and self-mastery. I'm living my dream for 2012: "I choose to be in charge of my habits. I let it be easy." Running is a part of that dream.
Being in charge of my habits is the dream. Improved fitness is the result of improved habits. Improved habits is the result of discovery and self-mastery.
I've discovered a few things over the past week:
1) I'm more out of shape than I thought.
2) My joints (especially my ankles) are a potential weakest link, and they require strengthening.
3) Muscles can be transformed quicker than joints, so I need to progress at the rate of joint health.
4) Running for life requires a balanced training program.
5) A balanced training program requires attention to cardio, strength, balance, and flexibility.
6) A balanced training program also requires built in time (patience) for recovery.
7) I have accumulated sufficient knowledge and equipment to build a balanced program.
8) Improved fitness is a day-to-day way of life that needs to be savored and enjoyed: the journey needs to be fun!
9) Logging miles (in a spreadsheet) is validating.
10) Firing up my metabolism once a day, if not twice a day, will help me to burn more calories, especially the fat ones. ;-)
One of the other habits I wanted to improve was my independent reading. As a side effect of becoming a more knowledgeable runner... that is happening as well.
Ain't life grand?