Saturday, June 30, 2012

Running is my friend.

CSUF Blooming Jasmine


Trail running is my friend. It helps release the endorphins and create a calorie deficit for the day. I'm trying to make a habit of burning 500 more calories a day than I eat. That should equate to one pound of fat burned a week.


I'm grateful that I live in a town that has horse/biking/running trails that make it easier to run on trails. I find it so much more interesting and relaxing than running on streets or on a tread mill.

Today I did a 3 1/2 mile trail run. My "runs" are really walk/jog/runs. I generally walk up the steeper hills, then I do a controlled run on the way down. When the ground is mostly flat, I generally just jog, aiming to keep my heart rate at a level of intensity that helps me burn fat.

CSUF Soccer Field
When I started out running in February, I could only run for a minute or two, then walk. Today, for the first mile or so, I actually ran/jogged for about 10 minutes straight. I was pleased. I've built up some stamina, some cardio/vascular capacity. I keep a running diary, and it indicates that on one mile run back in April I logged a 12 minute mile. So that's the time I'll be trying to beat. Perhaps I'll visit a local track so I can log my quarter mile splits.

CSUF Bike Trail
Getting back into shape is a slow process. It took years to descend into my own personal canyon of decreased fitness, and it will take me some time to hike out. But, I'm glad that I'm going in the right direction, and I'm glad for the personal indicators that help me to see progress.

Onward and upward!


No comments:

Post a Comment