Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Fear not! God is love...

I wrote this in response to a blog by my daughter. It's also posted on her blog ( http://fromtheheartofjoanna.blogspot.com/ "Scared of what He might do to me..." )

Here are my thoughts...

Can God be trusted to consistently do me good? Yes.

Do I always trust God to consistently do me good? No.

He’s trust-worthy, but I’m not always trusting. My bad, not His.

There’s a song that goes, “Doubts and fears? They come from down below…”

When I doubt God, I’m not listening to truth. Who is God?

God is love. (I’ve looked up all the verses that say, “God is…” They’re awesome.)

God is good. (I’ve looked up all the verses I could find that say, “God, who…” Those appositives reveal who God is.)

Why is all this important? Because the image we have of who God is often determines how we interpret our world, and often determines who we are willing to trust.

Psychologists often speak of the role of self-image and who we become. I’d suggest that the role of God-image does the same.

The Apostle John wrote, “And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love…” Have I known and believed that love?

As I contemplate His love, I find myself convinced of His goodness and love for me. And it changes how I see Him and the world around me. I am converted into an “informed naïveté” where I become simple and childlike. I love, I trust, I act in faith.

If I find myself fearful, I remind myself that “Perfect love casts out all fear…” And I remind myself that “We love Him because He first loved us.”

Want to live more fearlessly? Contemplate His love. Let Him assuage your fears and doubts. Let Him convert you. Hear Him say, “Fear not…” He’s not surprised by our fear, doubt, and unbelief. He doesn’t reject us. He accepts and improves us. He adopts us.”

“Beloved, now are we the sons of God. And it does not yet appear what we shall be.” God loves you and has a wonderful plan for your life. Always has. Always will.

No comments:

Post a Comment