Sunday, November 15, 2009

Twins! (and other blessings)

A special bulletin: Today, in central Illinois, a set of twins were born. Mom and identical twin boys are doing fine.

I have no pictures yet... but here is a "before" of their mom, my daughter: Joanna.

Joanna is and has been an athlete. That paid dividends at delivery. (The boys are welcome additions to her family: Abby, Rachel, and husband John.)








My son, Joel, who lives, works, and plays in British Columbia is also active. Here are two pics I unearthed of him online. (In the PS to a post I almost missed, was a link to a race called Phantom Run. He won the 12k mountain trail race on November 14th. An hour and seven minutes to cover seven plus miles of trail.) The other picture of him, in better weather, is from the Mountain Madness website that sponsors these "fun" runs.







The last two pics are of my youngest daughter. (She's in Illinois to help out the new mom!) She worked this summer in the Sierra Nevada mountains repairing and building back country trails, including parts of the John Muir Trail in Kings Canyon National Park. Here are a couple of pics from her summer job. (She's the one in the blue bandana.)





Kids and grand-kids: the dividends of a life invested in family.

The highlight of my birthday on Saturday, was hearing my two granddaughters sing Happy Birthday over the phone. Good times. Great blessings.

Happy Birth-day Twins!

PS: Just as I was getting ready to post this... I got an e-mail... with an attachment. (Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... Ain't they cute?!!!!)

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations Don!!! So beautiful :) What a true blessing to have such a wonderful family. I love all the pictures. You must be thrilled!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @september: I. am. thrilled. A "shit" grin has hovered just beneath the surface: all day. I am also relieved. Child-birth can be hazardous. These births were sans mishaps. Hallelujah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwwwww! Congratulations!

    Looks like you have some wonderful kids doing very cool things with their lives. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, guess I should have looked here before I sent my email...Your family is truly beautiful and you are very blessed. I am just thrilled for you. As always, I'm a day late, but Happy Birthday and if I calculate correctly the twins were born the day after? It would have been fun for all if it was the same day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've quite the active family!

    Congratulations to the new mama!! (and the new Grandpa ;) How's that feel?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Don! Congratulations! You have a beautiful family. Wishing you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Saphron: Thanks. I do have some very wonderful kids. I'm so proud of the people they've become. (And very grateful.)

    @Glo: Thanks. Yes, the day after. It'll make it real easy to remember. Thanks for dropping by!

    @Chase: It feels real good. Mostly, it's a relief. When you're young, having kids doesn't seem all that risky. When you get older... you've heard too many horror stories. The risks are probably the same as they always were, but it's easier perhaps to take your own, than to watch others take theirs.

    And yes, they are an active bunch. Living large! (A little bit at a time.)

    @Deedee: Thanks. Good wishes back at ya. Glad that you are no longer "adrift."

    ReplyDelete