Saturday, November 22, 2008

The Princess Bride: Have fun storming the castle!







Hey Buddy! You’re up early. What’s up?

Oh, I’m up on important business.

Really? Do tell.

I’m taking my sister to the airport.

Important business?

Well, it’s important to her.

Ahh… So it is. So it is.

Now what you are you smiling about?

I just thought of another line from The Princess Bride, the one that I probably use the most.

Some gem of philosophy so early in the day?

Nah. Most of the time I’m really more playful than philosophical. Sometimes both at the same time.

Okay. I’ll bite. What’s the line?

It’s the line I’ll use as we part company. As you go off on your “important” business I’ll say, “Have fun storming the castle!”

Cute, but what’s the context?

The line fits into life quite often, but its context in the movie is after a visit to Miracle Max’s hovel. Westley has been brought by his two friends to Miracle Max. Westley has been tortured to death, and he is in desperate need of a miracle.

Yikes! Torture? That’s mean.

Very mean. It’s a many-faceted movie. But funny throughout.

Torture and funny?

It’s a complex movie. Anyway, after Max and his wife create a chocolate-covered Miracle Pill to help save Westley, the trio of friends go out the door leaving Max and his wife behind. The three friends are in league to help save Buttercup and achieve revenge for Inigo’s murdered father. In order to do so, they must overcome the defenses of a well-guarded castle. The line belongs to Max as he shouts encouragement from his door, “Have fun storming the castle!”

This is your most-used line?

Yes, indeed.

Hmmm… I think about that later. For now, I’ve got to run. I’m due over at my “chauffeur’s” job. See you later.

See you later. “Have fun storming the castle!”

Tssss… I will. I will.

2 comments:

  1. I will be using that line sometime this week at work. :D

    It will briefly replace my typical "let's blow this popsicle stand."

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mid-western relatives (Iowa) blow popsicle stands too. (I've been known to blow a few too.) I've almost never said, "Peace. Out." ;-)

    ReplyDelete