Thursday, January 1, 2009

Affirmations: Puttering in the New Year...






I often self-inflict "honey-do's." A "honey do" is something your significant other asks you to do. "Honey, will you do something for me?" It's usually not a good thing.

Most men avoid these activities like the plague. They seem too much like chores.

But I like getting things done, so I started the year puttering around the house.

Dictionary.com defines Putter: To waste (time) in idling: puttered away the hours in the garden.

But is time in the garden really wasted? No.

I cleaned a few things, oiled a few things, and then tried to fix a lamp. I needed some pliers, but I couldn't get to my workbench: too much clutter in the garage. Four hours later, after much puttering, the garage was beautiful, and I had my pliers.


Nobody nagged me. I just had fun: classic tunes and time in the garage. Sweet.

What's my secret to enjoying household chores?
In part, it's because of two of my affirmations, my self-made sweet lies:

My house and cars are well maintained and cared for.


That's a nice affirmation and works well, but it's a bit vague. Another affirmation makes is more specific:

I enjoy spending a half a day a week on household and car chores.



Chores? Puttering? Semantics or setting myself up for success by self-managing my habits via affirmations. Too simple? Well, I guess I'm just a simple guy!


Tomorrow, just for fun, I'll probably cut my roses back to stubs.

2 comments:

  1. Did you cut the roses? That makes me sad, especially since they bloom in the winter for you!

    Also - just looking at those arthropoda makes me want to HURL. There was a gigantic red one on my wall when I very first moved into my very first apartment - a welcome wagon of sorts. I just barely survived.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saphron,

    It does seem sad to cut the roses, which I didn't do, yet. (I vacuumed out my cars instead.) Since roses grow year-round here, they need to be trimmed back to foot-long stubs and stripped of leaves. This stimulates healthy growth, including blooms!

    Those "arthropoda" should be clicked on, not avoided. (They are in fact cacti growing along the ground.) I thought they looked like mean snakes, that's why I photographed them. My pictures "punked" you.

    I guess it goes to show, you see what you think you see.

    ReplyDelete