Monday, November 24, 2008

The Princess Bride: True Love, part two










Greetings!

Salutations!

Well, aren’t we Biblical today?

Indeed we are. Very Pauline.

Are we doing the Bible today?

No, I have one more Princess Bride quote for you. I might do the Bible on Sundays. We’ll see.

Okay, what’s the Princess Bride quote-of-the-day?

Here it is…

Buttercup: Farm boy, fill these with water - please.
Westley: As you wish.
Grandpa: [voiceover] That day, she was amazed to discover that when he was saying "As you wish", what he meant was, "I love you." And even more amazing was the day she realized she truly loved him back.

Wait a minute! We’ve already done this dialogue. Have you lost your mind?

Not at all. But I’ve done a disservice to Buttercup, and I aim to remedy it.

Okay, I’ll play along. What gives?

Well, I pointed out how Westley gives us a manual for showing love to others: the re-spelling love principle.

Yes, I recall it well. You’ve helped make me a better spouse, parent, and friend. I’ve tried it. It works.

Indeed it does work, but in stressing Westley, I underplayed the importance of Buttercup.

Do tell.

Westley may be the initiator, the pursuer, and the mastermind, but all is in vain unless…

Unless what?

Unless the more amazing thing happens.

And what is that?

The day Buttercup realizes she truly loves him back.

Ahh. Good point.

Good point indeed. Without Buttercup’s love, all we have is a recipe for infatuation, unrequited love, or a stalking. Nothing works unless the love is truly mutual. That’s true love. A lot of things can be missing or less than optimal in a relationship, but the mutual love? That’s foundational and essential.

Once again you’ve illuminated me. I’ve seen this pattern, but hadn’t been able to put my finger on it. Some of the most unlikely relationships flourish, and now I suspect it is as you say, they truly love each other.

Buttercup completes the duet. Without her, Westley is singing solo. Both halves are needed for the new whole. I wouldn’t have been accurate in describing True Love if I neglected to share Buttercup’s half.

Hmmm… so in all these relationships I’m seeking to foster, it takes two to tango?

Indeed it does. That’s what the Grandpa was doing: he was wooing, and in the end, my guess is that the grandson, one day will realize…

2 comments:

  1. When's the book coming out?

    Too much material and potential for a blog.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I agree with Sacha! Then we can say we knew you when. ;)

    Realizing that it takes two to be in love in something that every teenager eventually has to learn...and that I came to understand in my early twenties, I believe, lol. Hey, I hang on to the ideals that I do have...

    ReplyDelete