Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Thanksgiving: True Love







A few days ago, on a blog called One Minute Writer, there was a prompt called First Day. The posters were asked to recall something about a first day. I didn’t respond in writing to that prompt, though I considered it.

This morning, as I was waking up, I thought about the Thanksgiving holiday. What I am most grateful for is Leslie, my wife. I am so thankful that I have the prospect of a future that includes such a well-suited companion, friend, and wife.

I remember the day in December more than a decade ago, when I had a “first day” worth remembering. It was the day that I discovered that Leslie loved me, and that I truly loved her back. The Princess Bride may be a modern day fairy tale, but dreams do come true, and sometimes in life, you even get second chances.

Leslie and I had both been happily married, but both had been widowed. My cousin Buffy caught the wonder of our marriage in a poem called,

A Wedding Prayer

As you start your life together
Through the grace of God, a second chance
For the love and for the laughter
And for the knowing glance.

May your love shine bright forever.
Your two souls entwined in dance.
And your happiness be boundless
Through the grace of God, a second chance.



Happy Thanksgiving. (I have Thursday and Friday off. Woo hoo!)

1 comment:

  1. The picture of Leslie made me laugh :). Hi Leslie's hand!!!

    ReplyDelete