Monday, December 8, 2008

Just for fun: Two surprises!



Photo by Cyndy

Today's writing is inspired by the photo above which was posted at Pictures, Poetry and Prose. The paragraphs below are based on an exercise suggested by Stephen King in his book On Writing. He says that often his inspirations come from encountering a scene. From the scene, he invents a scenario and some characters. From that... the story unfolds, often including snippets and pieces of "characters" he has known.

I give you...

Surprise!

It was our fifth anniversary. Despite the dire predictions of our friends, everything was working just fine for us in spite our age difference. I was 42 now: she was 31. It was a lovely day. I was surprised when she had suggested a picnic.

I wasn't sure if the sunburst in the distance signified the world ending or a new one beginning as her words echoed in my ears, "Honey? We're pregnant!"

~ ~ ~

Here's a poem with a surprise twist of its own... (From Reflections on a Gift of Watermelon Pickle, and other modern verse.)

I give you...

Earth

"A planet doesn't explode of itself," said drily
The Martian astronomer, gazing off into the air__
"That they were able to do it is proof that highly
Intelligent beings must have been living there."

By John Hall Wheelock


Life is full of surprises. Look for them!



1 comment:

  1. I'm surprised!!! I have a book on the "bookcase in my lane" by Wheelock, titled "What is Poetry?" If you haven't read it, I recommend it!

    ReplyDelete