Sunday, November 30, 2008

When you're down, and troubled...








Sometimes life is hard, even discouraging. In such a disheartened state where can one turn for renewal of hope?

Once upon a time, in my early twenties I found myself in such a state. Eventually, after several months in a real funk, I got down on my knees with an open Bible and prayed, “Oh God, if this is really your book, and you speak to people through it, please speak to me. I’m not sure if I can go on living in such misery…”

Six chapters into the book of Matthew, words of comfort lept off the page… “Seek and you will find…” The phrase provided me with just a glimmer of hope, but to a hungry soul, any bitter thing is sweet.

This episode was the beginning of a lifetime habit of seeking comfort in the Scriptures. Today, Sunday, I share two lines from a poem that have inspired me over the years.

“I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.”

I have learned over the years to assume that God is good. I have also learned that delays are not denials, and sometimes the answer to my prayers is “not yet.” These two premises have led me to places in life of meaning, contentment, and growth.

Two lines from an old poem, yet they are able to transform the discouraged, disillusioned, and distraught. I should know…

1 comment:

  1. You know, God really does show Himself to those who seek him. Those who don't, who don't believe He's there, often get just what they expect: nothing. And because of the wisdom of God, He allows such a thing.

    There are days (like just yesterday) when doubt has a surprising power. I just have to, HAVE TO remember that God purposely limited his presence in this world and those times when He has unequivocally shown up defeat any doubt others try to plant in me.

    ReplyDelete