Friday, December 5, 2008

Just for fun: Geraniums, poetry, and pictures!







When I put together yesterday's post, I collected my geranium pictures and found I had enough nice ones for two posts... Hence, this post.

So I looked through my favorite book of poetry, Reflections on a Gift of Watermelon Pickle... And Other Modern Verse. Published in 1966, I chuckled at the sub-title which contains the words "modern verse." Compared to who? Shakespeare? Yeah, then it's still modern.

I found a suitable poem for the rest of my geraniums. Why?

Because the poet, William Carlos Williams takes the ordinary and elevates it into poetry.
I give you...

This Is Just to Say

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold.


For breakfast most weekdays I enjoy a five ingredient smoothie: whey powder, milk, banana, Splenda, and frozen blueberries -- so sweet and so cold. (And a pretty purple.)

I noticed that yesterday was my 50th blog entry! Woo-hoo! I remember the title of my first entry. It was... This is just to say... from October 22nd.

Deja vu all over again.




2 comments:

  1. you're 10 entries ahead of me. I just celebrated my 40th.

    Thanks for the poetry and pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, you do like to bring back those posts from the past, don't you? :D

    Did you ever think you'd be blogging this much? I'm glad you do; you're always ready with a good dose of truth and beauty.

    The poem is interesting. I always wonder about those tiny-slice-of-life poems, how the poet ever decides on that one moment.

    ReplyDelete