Saturday, November 8, 2008

Favorite sayings... Don't major...





in the minors.

I like to get things done. I like to get the right things done. I like to get the right things done without burning myself out.

I'm generally successful because I’ve learned not to major in the minors.

Many things in life don’t matter. Many difficulties, digs, and dramas simply need to be overlooked: they’re minor. They don’t deserve to be the focus of my time, attention, and emotions. If I let life’s minor irritations become my focus, then I won’t achieve what matters: the majors.

Life is short. Time and energy are limited. If I let the tyranny of the urgent rule my life, then I’ll never get the important things done.

I don’t always succeed in this effort, but I periodically check to make sure I haven’t been sidetracked into wasting my limited resources on things that don’t matter. I’ve learned to prioritize based on my core values. I've learned to move forward towards my goals at a sustainable pace.

I still do many mundane things. I re-create and have fun. “All work in no play makes Jack a dull boy” is still true. I find enjoyment in the midst of life, but I also get a lot done. How?

I major in the majors, not the minors. And when I get off-track, I recalibrate. I adjust. Again.

No comments:

Post a Comment